[self-interest] Re: Self at Sourceforge CVS Tree

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed Jun 4 12:00:36 UTC 2008

OK, I have a compiled executable on Ubuntu 8.10.   Woohoo!

At the moment it loads the Demo snapshot, but the desktop doesn't
come up.

This presumably means that the integration with X11 has gone wrong
somewhere.

I'll have another try in a few days.

(PS: the Self VM has an enormous amount of debugging info!  strip took
the VM from 168M -> 1.6M!)

-------------------------------------
russell-desktop:~/Desktop> ./Self -s Demo.snap
for I386:  LogVMMessages = true
for I386:  PrintScriptName  = true
for I386:  Inline = true
for I386:  SICDeferUncommonBranches = false (not implemented)
for I386:  SICReplaceOnStack = false (not implemented)
for I386:  SaveOutgoingArgumentsOfPatchedFrames = true

	Welcome to the Self system!  (Version 4.2)

Copyright 1992-2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. and Stanford University.
See the LICENSE file for license information.

Type _Credits for full credits.

VM version: 4.1.12

Adjusting VM for better UI2 performance:
   _MaxPICSize: 25
   _Flush
"Self 2" desktop open
Error: ENOSYS.
Receiver is: raiseError.
To debug in ui2, type:      selfProcessModel debugProcess: 0 as
to debug in console, type:  attach: 0
to dump stack, type:        0 as printError.
The desktop is already open!
desktop
"Self 3" desktop go
Warning: Self 1(type: worldMorph) cannot go; no sourceHands.
desktop
"Self 4" 3 + 4
7
"Self 5" quit