[self-interest] Performance figures interesting

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed May 10 22:42:24 UTC 2006

Many of your points are interesting.  When I talk about native windows I
mean a Smalltalk window is an OS window.  I have not tried Dolphin, which I
guess I need to do.  While VisualWorks needs a facelift for UI, the simple
bug that it leaves parts of a window not repainted will keep it from being
accepted in most shops I know.  It makes it look old, and getting past that
first impression is very difficult.  For connectivity in the enterprise or
even small business space support for XML Web Services (SOAP, WSDL, etc)
seems more and more a necessity.  VisualWorks 7 has some of this, but
reports are that it is pretty buggy, and the API set is modeled after the
Java API which is not all that interesting to a Smalltalker, and for many
applications a streaming API would be much more efficient.

As far as WPF UI goes it can do CSS type styling of the presentation, mixing
of text, controls, and live video/audio and 3D in the same UI with full
transformation of elements relative to their parent, with a pretty good
layout engine.  A good WPF UI looks as much like TV as a computer screen in
terms of having information presentation polish.

I agree that there are things I can do in VW that Eclipse will never do,
although it tries in many cases.  It almost lets you modify a class during
execution.  It almost lets you test your UI by treating the UI as objects.
It does support refactoring (but that is largely needed because of strong
typing).  What it does have is a huge number of people working to eliminate
bugs, and to support it going forward.  What it does do is support the
current standards (WebServices, J2EE, JSP, JSF, etc).

I also agree that the number of features that exist in Smalltalk that
differentiate it from other solutions is very large, and yet to be really
well documented.  But, if we can get more of that documented that may reduce
some of the craggy aloofness.

Michael