[self-interest] Performance figures interesting

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed May 10 04:11:51 UTC 2006

Io looks interesting, but misses a few things I really like in Smalltalk
(user defined control structures using blocks primarily).  Having compact
syntax for things like collect: detect: and to:by:do: or any I choose to
make up for my application is very high on my list.  I can use Smalltalk to
build a domain specific language by just modeling it.

The figure for Self is using the Sun VM that is about 10 years old with some
cleanup since.  I am glad you can get better numbers in your VM.  There may
be something in the microbenchmark that is pathological to the Self VM way
of doing things.  If it never saw it as a hotspot it may have interpreted
the entire benchmark even with repeated executions.

Michael