New Self release: 4.3

Adam Spitz adam.spitz at sun.com
Mon Jul 17 19:07:11 UTC 2006

Dave, Alex and I just wanted to announce that we've released a new
version of Self. You can download it here:

http://research.sun.com/self/release_4.3/release.html

The new version includes Dave's port of Self to the Intel x86
architecture, so that Self now runs on the new Intel-based Macs.
(Self still doesn't run on Windows or Linux, though. If anyone out
there is willing to get this latest version of Self running on
Windows or Linux, we'd greatly appreciate it. In the meantime,
there's Harald Gliebe and Gordon Cichon's x86 port at http://
www.gliebe.de/self , which I believe is based on Self 4.1.6.)

Additionally, Dave has revived the original Self user interface
(UI1), although its cartoon-animation techniques haven't yet been
incorporated into the default Morphic user interface (UI2). See the
release notes for instructions on running UI1, and for a full list of
changes in this release.

If anyone has any trouble with the new release, please don't hesitate
to let me know. Enjoy!

Adam