[self-interest] A Brief History of Just-in-Time

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:49:55 UTC 2005

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:05:24 +0300, Jecel Assumpcao Jr
<jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_programming_language>
>
> There are several little errors in the history part, but these are not
> important compared to the "Inheritance" and "Adding Slots" sections
> which are simply wrong. They seem to have been written by someone
> familiar with the Io and NewtonScript family of prototype based
> languages (where you create new, empty objects derived from the
> prototype instead of cloned from it) and who assumed that Self was the
> same.
>
> I don't know what the proper protocol for fixing this is (my impression
> is that it is very informal), but given that this information is being
> copied to other sites (see answers.com) it would be a good idea not to
> leave it like this.

Just grab an account, and change it. (Actually you can do it without
grabbing an account, but it's best to get an account.) If somebody
disagrees with what you have written they'll change it back.
Surprisingly it works pretty well, although occasionally big battles
do occur. But if you give references that's less likely.

--
-Ian Woollard

Free will, or synaptic wiring? You decide!