A Brief History of Just-in-Time

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Mar 23 10:05:24 UTC 2005

This is the title of an interesting 2001 paper by John Aycock
(http://pages.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~aycock/)

The paper's most detailed section is about Self:

<http://pharos.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Dienst/Repository/2.0/Body/ncstrl.ucalga
ry_cs/2001-689-12/postscript>

On an unrelated note, a friend called my attention to the page about
Self in the Wikipedia.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self_programming_language>

There are several little errors in the history part, but these are not
important compared to the "Inheritance" and "Adding Slots" sections
which are simply wrong. They seem to have been written by someone
familiar with the Io and NewtonScript family of prototype based
languages (where you create new, empty objects derived from the
prototype instead of cloned from it) and who assumed that Self was the
same.

I don't know what the proper protocol for fixing this is (my impression
is that it is very informal), but given that this information is being
copied to other sites (see answers.com) it would be a good idea not to
leave it like this.