prototype multiple dispatch creates uncollectable garbage?

Brian T. Rice water at tunes.org
Fri Sep 3 18:34:02 UTC 2004

James McCartney wrote:

> This is a post I made on the self-list which I am reposting here with a
> more attention getting subject line.
> I am curious what the solution is, if there is one. I just joined the
> list so perhaps this has been discussed. The archives don't appear to be
> searchable.

These last few days, I am really busy moving between apartments, and I
had written a reply but lost it. For now, I will answer that yes this
does seem to be a current problem, but, no, I can't figure out an actual
realistic use-case for multi-methods applied at least partly to
non-well-known (not reachable by name from the lobby) objects. We can
handle method replacements, but disappearing roles are another issue.
Note that re-loading code in principle should allow in-place library
updating, not even having to swap objects, so there is a limit to the
range of cases where it's needed.

Probably the solution will have to involve a type of system-update
notification system, kind of a feature which could be applied to have
the effect of finalizers, as an example. Basically we'd need to trigger
events when an object's map's roles are removed or otherwise
invalidated. The problem is then that the system has to correctly
identify which signature applies to the method. In general, method
removal is tricky because there may be derived maps and so forth which
also have the same signature. So there is a deficiency or gap in the
things that the naive PMD configuration, but we're working on it. One
factor that allows us not to address it is that our images can be built
up rather easily, so we haven't been too concerned with removal yet.

-Brian