[self-interest] text and gui

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Tue Mar 16 15:31:00 UTC 2004

Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
Hi Jecel!

> On Monday 15 March 2004 19:32, Albertina Lourenci wrote:
> > Well,  in this case we have no graphical wall!
>
> It is an example of a textual notation, not a graphical one.
>
> > Of course for graphical designers this makes no sense!
>
> My point exactly.
>
> > What I understand by graphical syntax is something like
> > the GUI, the outliner and so on! In this case you also
> > have true graphical objects.
>
> I am typing this in an application running in a GUI, yet can't use it to
> send you an example of a graphical notation. The outliner only allows
> you to type text in it to define a method, even though it is a very
> nice graphical notation of an object.
>
> > Hence the difference is not it is only interactive. Indeed
> > it has different functionality from the literal syntax.
> > It is something like three dimensional collaborative
> > architecture and bidimensional collaborative architecture.
>
> Right.

And this confirms my viewpoints there is no one-to-one
mapping. Different functionalities are involved.

> > > Even though the three versions of the wall object are equivalent in
> > > theory, in practice it is more fun to deal with the graphical
> > > version.
> >
> > I see no equivalence! Only if you make a reductionist effort or
> > a rough mapping from one to the other. For a designer this makes
> > no sense!

> It is not a rough mapping - it is an exact mapping which an automatic
> tool can use to translate from one notation to the other.

I see! It is like free-hand sketch and then technical drawing!

> But you are the one who said:
>
> # I miss the point here. Semiotically speaking there may be different
> # forms for the same content. What's the problem with this? For me the
> # problem is when there is no correspondence between the two different
> # forms. This is exactly what happens when one tries to map domain model
> # and architecture into programming languages.

Sure! I believe the conundrum might be solved if one builds programming
languages inspired by what happens in domain model and architectures.
And yet the programming language has its own development!

> I showed you three different forms for the same content, and hope you
> now see the problem with this. In practice, some forms are more
> convenient than others.

I see. Thank you for the detailed explanation.
Best wishes
Albertina