Selfish Worlds (Was: Re: [self-interest] Kansas and Tcl)

Stefan Urbanek stefan at agentfarms.net
Sun Mar 7 22:34:02 UTC 2004

Albertina,

On 2004-03-06 10:57:42 +0100 Albertina Lourenci <lourenci at lsi.usp.br> wrote:

> Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> Dear Stefan!
> See below!
>
>> On 2004-03-05 22:06:07 +0100 Jecel Assumpcao Jr <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

<snip>

>> The advantage is, as I have mentioned before, the different computational
>> model and well tested, fast runtime. Those are features that no other (or
>> very few) scripting languages/environments offer. This moves Self to
>> another, higher level, where one can use it not only for small pieces of
>> code. One can use it for larger (user customisable) parts of an
>> application. There are lots problems that can be solved in Self much more
>> easier than in C/C++/ObjectiveC.
>
> I believe nobody has doubts about Self's power of expressiveness.

Well ... nobody here has doubts. You know about the power, people on this list know, I do and perhaps very-very few others, but that is all. In fact, Self does not exists. I'll move a bit offtopic, but ... if current developers of self will retire, Self will retire with them. And that would be pity.

>> How I see it? Application using one or more Self environments. Ok, now I
>> let my imagination go... What about stadard application as a frontend to a
>> distributed self environments on different machines?
>
> This sounds great. Distributed Self environments on different machines as the
> basis of a collaborative architecture. Something
> like OpenCroquet (Alan Kay and so on) intends to offer to develop
> applications written in Squeak?:-)!

Yes, and it is not too difficult to create something with OpenCroquet idea. Different from Squeak implementation there is one, perhaps not very nice analogy:

There is: WWW (passive) worlds +  web browser
There can be: Self (active) worlds + not-yet-written user (non-self) interface application.

If environment-native application (with environment-native visualising graphical tools) was used as an entrance or window to Self worlds, then it can be easily adaptable for potential users. And I think that it would be much more easier to introduce native app than to introduce something totally new.

Just imagine what everything can be done with those "living selfish worlds"... :-)

Best regards,

Stefan Urbanek
--
http://stefan.agentfarms.net

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
- Mahatma Gandhi