[self-interest] simplicity

Steven Shaw steven_shaw at iprimus.com.au
Wed Jun 30 12:17:42 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 30 June 2004 04:24, Brian Rice wrote:
> > Anyone know if this idiom made it into Self and/or Smalltalk?
>
> FileStream named:do: from my email is exactly such an idiom. Avi Bryant
> cooked it up for this discussion:
> http://discuss.fogcreek.com/newyork/default.asp?cmd=show&ixPost=1998
>
> Self can do this in other ways, but this is the basic proof of concept.

Thanks, Brian. I am aware that it's possible to do in Self and Smalltalk (I
certainly wasn't meaning it couldn't be done without macros - I am familiar
with the Ruby way). I was meaning to ask if the idiom had become part of the
standard library or a common library for Self or Smalltalk developers. I was
also struggling to bring the thread back on topic :).

Cheers,
Steve.