[self-interest] simplicity

Steven Shaw steven_shaw at iprimus.com.au
Tue Jun 29 10:23:00 UTC 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 15:54, Toby Ovod-Everett wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 08:20:43PM -0700, Michael Latta wrote:
> when writing multi-threaded code that I have to worry about race
> conditions.  But my instinct is to presume that in single-threaded code
> that I can forget about them, and that is no longer the case when
> deterministic finalization goes out the window.

But surely not unless you're going to have a finalisation method (this assumes
that the finalisation will be done on another thread - probably the gc
thread). If you write single threaded code and have no need for finalisation
then you still don't need to worry about race-conditions/non-determinism.

Can't most resources be managed via with-open-file type of calls (of scheme,
lisp, dylan)?

Anyone know if this idiom made it into Self and/or Smalltalk?

Cheers,
Steve.