[self-interest] Language enhancements

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Sat Jun 26 17:45:58 UTC 2004

I read the paper on perspectives.  It has some interesting ideas, but
from my perspective the concluding sections seem to say that it failed
to solve the problems it set out to solve.

The use of perspectives to solve security was clearly not a solution as
they worked through that one.  The use of perspectives for creating
private interfaces only worked in the absence of other perspectives,
which seems to be true in the multi-user and multi-view cases as well.
I would make the following changes to their approach and see if the
result was an improvement:

1) Allow access to "context" provided by enclosing activations.
2) Allow fuzzy dispatch (you think you see one object, but there is a
constellation of objects that cooperate to respond to the message.  The
parts of an object could be managed in a way similar to the layers in
the paper, but would allow "perspective" to be taken from the context,
or elsewhere, and would allow multiple active perspectives to influence
the dispatch.

The suggestion that extending the language requires thought and
experimentation I wholly agree with.  Peer review of the proposed
changes will also be important.  The subjectivity idea has merit as a
way to mange complexity.  The COM idea that you must ask an identity
for a perspective is similar, but would need a contextual frame of
reference to match up.

Michael