Language enhancements

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Fri Jun 25 15:48:45 UTC 2004

I am considering creating a VM for Self with some language extensions
and would like comments:

1) I am considering making the inheritance of structural slots
declarative.  Rather than listing the copydowns in each child object,
allowing the parent to annotate a slot as copied.  The child objects
would still need to be able to exclude those they replace with
behavior.

2) I am considering adding an annotation to a slot that will cause it
to be cloned when the object is cloned.

These ideas come from working with modeling where there is more
declarative work.  The items above would also need syntax to support
textual definition of those aspects.  For example 2 above could be
<slot>+ to indicate aggregation.  The idea is to reduce errors and
reduce code to manage these aspects of a system.

Let me know what you think, or if there are good reasons to leave it in
code.

Michael