memory organization (was: Does Self have become:)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 22 17:30:20 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 13:49, Michael Latta wrote:
> If you are scanning memory, I hope you are avoiding byte arrays!  I
> also assume you catch references on the stack and in registers.

It is very educational to turn on the spy (see option in the yellow
background menu) and watch it as Self runs.

You will notice that each region fills up from the left (lower
addresses) and from the right at the same time. On the left you have
objects with pointer (which should be scanned) and on the right the
byte arrays (which shouldn't, as you said).

Scanning the registers and stack is more complicated due to a mix of
tagged and raw objects, but each method includes a mask to tell you
which is which. The details vary slightly from processor to processor.