[self-interest] Does Self have become:

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 22 14:25:04 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 22 June 2004 02:43, Brian Rice wrote:
> However, that solution masks the fact that the _AddSlots: call may
> require the automatic memory allocator to re-allocate the object and
> perform pointer forwarding (through tables, or whatever).

This, and the other stuff you wrote, are very good points.

Without checking the VM sources, my guess is that _AddSlots: scans
through the whole memory updating all pointers to the changed object.
This was a key decision in the object memory design - that the heap(s)
should be scanned word by word instead of object by object and field by
field within the object.

This works very well with everything in RAM, but like #allInstances and
friends from Smalltalk it doesn't like virtual memory.