[self-interest] Merlin and Self

Brian Rice water at tunes.org
Sat Jun 19 21:09:44 UTC 2004

Hello, Michael,

First, welcome to the Self community.

I should add that I am working on "Slate" which is like Self but with
multi-methods and without object literals. It actually looks more like
Smalltalk-80, but anyway it's really powerful, and we will provide a
Morphic style environment in it for dynamic media. We're taking a
superset of Morphic and CLIM-style ideas and merging them; which is
pretty revolutionary, in my opinion, but it's hard to convey those
benefits as the number of grokking users of both Morphic and CLIM
number in the single digits, and the communities have no (acknowledged)
shared history or motivations.

The core code is largely done, but we are working on core VM and
environment support issues before deploying this. This is also a
part-time project for both its' creators, but we want to change that
into a paying gig. Our general stance is that Smalltalk-80 is not
nearly powerful enough to do this stuff, although Squeak tries, and
that Self, while a great demonstration in its time, is largely not
suited to move on. In a lot of senses, we don't think Self is powerful
enough, either, or too powerful in the wrong ways. Now I get to back
these (semi-inflammatory) words up by delivering further Slate
releases.

We are heavily inspired by Jecel's ideas, and discuss with him on our
chat channel.

The site is http://slate.tunes.org/

There are a gaggle of prototype-based languages these days that claim
to be Self-inspired, but largely they throw everything out but the
prototypes.

PS: There is also activity at Sun about Self these days, although those
involved are pretty quiet about the whole thing. I'm not sure I'm even
supposed to share the info, but I'm opposed to the "closed doors"
mentality, because I think there's effort being duplicated and/or
wasted. Anyway, they're bootstrapping Self in itself, calling the
compiler or effort "Klein", which I've often wondered whether it was a
play on Slate's "Mobius" implementation framework or just too
irresistible a pun to make for any party.

--
Brian T. Rice
LOGOS Research and Development