[self-interest] Scaling in canvases

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Sat Jun 19 01:15:06 UTC 2004

Before I run off half cocked I could use comments on the following
observations:

1) It appears that each window has its own back buffer that gets damage
drawn onto it.
2) When multiple users access a system they get their own windows, so
drawing can occur once per user for the same damage area.
3) I would have liked to see the canvas abstract out the buffering so
worldMorph would not need to keep paired lists of canvases to do
buffering.  That would also make it easier to substitute hardware or OS
buffering.

For my needs I would like to see a drawing subsystem that supports
scaling (of shapes and text) with the traditional transforms available
from one morph to the children.  If this was making use of hardware
transformation it should not cost much, and FSAA in hardware only costs
about 10%.  But it looks like the entire complex of canvas, display,
and worldMorph will be impacted heavily to do this.

Has this been considered?  Was it just not the focus of the research,
or was there a reason from the shared X11 perspective that this would
be a bad idea?  The large work area that the Self UI supports would be
a perfect place to add a zooming interface type control for navigation,
rather than scrolling in 1/3 screen increments.

Michael