[self-interest] UI Performance Question

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 15 21:08:14 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 13:18, Michael Latta wrote:
> I am new to Self but have been poking around.  The frame rate in Self
> seems a bit low for me, and was poking around to find what is the
> issue.  On my G4 1Ghz I get 8-10 fps, but on my dual 2.0 G5 I also
> get 8-10 fps.  This leads me to believe there is some attempt to make
> the fps a fixed number rather than being driven as fast as possible.
> But I have not been able to locate any timer based throttling of the
> step processing for activities.  Any pointers would be welcome.

Method 'runLoop' in traits worldMorph in includes this line

  delayIfNoInputFor: (desiredFrameTime - computeTime) max: 0.

and 'desiredFrameTime' is defined in traits worldMorph itself as 35.
Supposing that is milliseconds, then we should be throttling to some 28
frames per second or so. Changing that to 15 didn't seems to have any
effect (on a 600MHz PC) while making it 8 did. I also tried 60 which
didn't seem to make it slower, but then 300 dropped to 3 frames per
second.