[self-interest] simplicity

Ian Woollard junkmail at wolfkeeper.plus.com
Thu Jul 1 17:28:40 UTC 2004

Steven Shaw wrote:

>I wonder what makes most resources unlike memory?

It's a very different emphasis.

There's a heck of a lot more bytes than copies of any other resource.

That means you don't need to be quite so paranoid about releasing
memory- holding up deallocating an object for seconds, minutes or days
may not matter at all. Failing to deallocate a semaphore for that long
is likely to damage the system, perhaps fatally.

> Maybe it's that most
>resources are held for short periods of time (although they say the same
>about memory...). Probably it's more something to do with the number of
>references to a resource. If anyone knows the answer please chime in.

Memory is often allocated/deallocated at extremely high rates. That
means it *has* to be efficient. Other resources rarely call for the same
degree of performance, but do need to be deallocated promptly.