[self-interest] Reusability of the Self environment

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Sun Feb 29 21:58:05 UTC 2004

On Feb 29, 2004, at 12:40 PM, Stefan Urbanek wrote:
> Thanks for the reference. I have looked at it and it seems to be
> interesting, however it is not quite what i was looking for. It has
> more complicated syntax than Self, and Self seems to be more mature in
> the sense of runtime.

The syntax is actually much simpler than Self, but Io certainly a less
mature implementation. However, it does have bindings to media
libraries that Self lacks (such as OpenGL, OpenAL, etc).

> Objective C + GNUstep/Cocoa has good application framework, Self has
> good computational and object-model framework for multi-agent based
> simulations (and possibly quite fast execution with good compiler,
> AFAIK). That's the reason I am looking for a marriage of the two.
>
> Or I am missing something?

As for multi-agent simulations, you might find Io's actor-based
concurrency model useful. Also, Io has a transparent Objective-C bridge
(so you can use everything in Cocoa, Foundation, etc from Io).

Btw, my apologies for making my last post to the list - I had meant to
send it to Stefan directly.

Cheers,
Steve