[self-interest] Self on Panther

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Feb 13 14:35:07 UTC 2004

On Sunday 08 February 2004 16:27, Josh Flowers wrote:
> Does anyone have Self running on Panther?  I just tried 4.2, and the
> UI never came up.

My mother just got a new eMac with Panther and I got Self 4.2 to run on
it this morning (I had a lot of trouble defining the SELF_WORKING_DIR
variable in .profile - Panther uses bash instead of csh).

> Self VM warning: ignoring failed Apple event:, -1708
> "Self 2" "Self 2"

I got this as well, but then several "finger" related errors and finally
the GUI started working. It took a long time after the UI window came
up before anything was drawn on it.

Even with a 1GHz G4 it doesn't feel as snappy as on my Ultra 277MHz, but
I wasn't able to play very much with it and it crashed when I started
the atoms demo.