[self-interest] Self video

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Feb 3 21:42:28 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 17:12, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2004, at 11:04 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> > I am curious about why you "compressed" a 88MB movie into a 110MB
> > file?
>
> I didn't. .Mac does that when you upload files. I don't understand
> why. Maybe I need to strip any resource forks first?

It might be their way of keeping people from playing the files directly
from their site - this way they force you to download it.

David P Harris asked:
> Can someone convert this to a zip and publish it?

Just the plain .mov file is as small as it gets, so zipping it wouldn't
help (though I see sites that do it, probably for the same reason I
guessed above).

Ideally this would be available from the Self home page. As an
alternative, I could put it at http://www.smalltalk.org.br which has a
very good connection to the Internet. But I would say that permission
to distribute on CDs and permission to make available for download
aren't quite the same thing, so I will wait for feedback from Sun
before doing that.