[self-interest] Self video

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Feb 3 19:04:01 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 03 February 2004 15:20, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> On Feb 3, 2004, at 9:07 AM, Kyle Hayes wrote:
> > On Tuesday 03 February 2004 08:40, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> >> Here's a link to a quicktime version of the Self video:
> >> http://homepage.mac.com/stevedekorte/.cv/stevedekorte/Public/
> >> Self_big.mov-binhex.hqx
> >
> > Is there a tool under Linux that will turn this back into
> > Quicktime?
>
> I'm not sure but google search turned up this:
> http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man1/macutil.1.html

With that tool installed, you can just

  cat Self_big.mov-binhex.hqx | hexbin -f

generating a 88MB .data file (which you should rename to just .mov) and
two tiny ones that you can ignore in Linux and Windows. My old version
of xmovie didn't have the codecs for this while xine (also old) played
the video just fine with no sound. Quicktime in Windows had no problems
with this file.

I am curious about why you "compressed" a 88MB movie into a 110MB file?

I had also converted the VHS tape into two DivX files - a barely
watchable 20MB one (screens totally unreadable, though) and a
reasonable 200MB, which I don't think is quite as good as your 88MB
version. I didn't make these available, however, since I am still
waiting for permission from Sun's legal department.