[self-interest] Re: Trouble running Self/x86 - The Solution!

Paul Chapman paul at igblan.free-online.co.uk
Tue Nov 18 12:46:23 UTC 2003

Jan,

I know it's been 6 months, but I kinda gave up on Self back then. :)

But today I decided I really ought to try it out, since I'm designing Caper based on some of its ideas.

Anyway...

> The cookbook:
>
> 1) suppose you have installed current cygwin to f:\cygwin
> 2) look to http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html to find some mirror of ftp
> with the cygwin distribution. I have used
> ftp://ftp.fit.vutbr.cz/pub/systems/cygwin/
> address (in Czech Republic), you probably will choose another.
> 3) go to the release/cygwin directory, where you can find some files
> like cygwin-1.3.19-1.tar.bz2 (and other versions). Get this file!
> 4) Extract files contaned in this archive. You get usr/ directory with
> some files and subdirs.
> 5) Look into extracted usr\bin directory. There are 17 files for
> version 1.3.19 of cygwin, including cygwin1.dll
> 6) Backup newer files in your f:\cygwin\bin, and replace them by older
> version files.
> 7) start cygwin and try $cygcheck -s |less . Somewhere in the text you
> can read "Cygwin DLL info: DLL version 1.3.19 ....". That's exactly
> what we wanted.
> 8) start out XFree and run Self:
> startx
> cd self
> ./Self -c -s Empty.snap
> 9) Enjoy!

I followed this carefully, but I still get the same Self VM error: "i and stub zones overlap".  I'm using Self VM 4.1.10.

Is this your setup still?  Do I need an earlier Self version too?

TIA.

Cheers, Paul