[self-interest] Issues about delegation

"J. Baltasar García Perez-Schofield" jgarcia at ei.uvigo.es
Wed Nov 5 19:45:10 UTC 2003

         Dear Jecel (though anyone is invited to join the discussion):

> >          I see. So, the "general" solution would be to copy all
> > inherited attributes.
>
>Actually, in that kind of system you don't copy anything until someone
>tries to change it. So the "instances" might end up all looking
>different from each other depending on their history.

         Yeah, but I mean, if you don't have copy-on-write slots, then you
should copy all data slots (attributes) of prototype object X in prototype
object X' when you create it, deriving from  X.

         That raises another issue: dynamic inheritance. You should copy
all atributes of the parent prototype object each time the 'parent' slot
changed ...

         It seems that the issue of attributes complicates the
inheritance-using-delegation approach.

         Salud !
                 j.Baltasar