[self-interest] questions

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Fri Jun 27 10:09:57 UTC 2003

On Thursday, June 26, 2003, at 10:19 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> The famous "wheel of hardware reincarnation" ;-) You will find that the
> more a graphics processor does, the more it looks just like your main
> CPU. Until you finally say "hey, let's just put a second processor
> there of the same kind for graphics instead of a special one. Then it
> can be use for other stuff when the graphics load is low". Later you
> start to add extra hardware to help the second processor do the most
> basic graphics stuff...

If this is true, it should be easy for you to implement some sample
code that demonstrates the CPU rendering at the speed of the graphics
card just as I've provided sample code to test OpenGL.

> How about a Morph that draws lots of random polygons in its baseDrawOn:
> method? It could time this and add a polygons/second text to itself. By
> dragging it around the screen you would force it to update itself so
> you could see how that number would vary.

How about just a Self version of that one page C program I posted
earlier?

>> I think that may be a good simple test of Self's rendering engine
>> that we can compare to alternate techniques.
>
> But it is X's rendering engine, so I am not sure what we would learn
> from this little experiment.

If it turns out that technology X renders 100x slower than technology
Y, and we're using X and having what we hope are rendering performance
problems, then we might consider giving Y a try.

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html