[self-interest] questions

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Wed Jun 25 05:18:43 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, June 24, 2003, at 09:49 AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> Dave actually explained this in the email you were replying to. By
> rendering directly to the screen the hardware can't help you.

The graphics hw is not just for compositing. It has custom logic for
doing complex operations like polygon rendering, line drawing,
antialiasing and much more. Right now it's sounds like these operations
are being done on the CPU which is not designed for doing these
operations.

> If you render to an off-screen buffer and then do an accelerated copy
> to the
> screen it will be much faster.

Then the CPU has to process every pixel. As far as I can see, the CPU
shouldn't need to touch *any* pixels for the type of graphics I see in
Self.

Can you write a demo to see how many polygons per second Self can
render using it's current system? (stripping away everything but the
demo itself)

I think that may be a good simple test of Self's rendering engine that
we can compare to alternate techniques.

Cheers,
Steve
Io, a small language: http://www.iolanguage.com/