[self-interest] questions

David Ungar David.Ungar at Sun.COM
Sat Jun 21 23:01:30 UTC 2003

I know you have been discussing this for a while, but I invite you to
try the latest Self release, 4.2.
You may find it to be much snappier on a Mac.
The reason that dragging a large outliner is slow, is partly because
Self does no bitmap caching.
It repaints damaged regions by rerendering them, in order to support
things that are changing.
(I think someone, Jecel?, already mentioned this.)
So the cost is running all that code, not just graphics.
That's why a better compiler may well make a difference.

- Dave