new Self release

David Ungar David.Ungar at Sun.COM
Thu Jun 19 23:15:52 UTC 2003

Subject:  New Self release

We're pleased to announce a new Self release.  The major addition is
the availability of the optimizing compiler (the Simple Inlining
Compiler, or SIC) for the PowerPC.  As a result, Self on Mac OS X now
runs significantly faster!

In addition, we have fixed a number of virtual machines bugs.  And the
SIC has been further refactored; this should simplify the porting of
SIC to other architectures.

The Self homepage, at http://research.sun.com/self, contains the new
release.

We hope you enjoy using this more-responsive Self system,
Michael Abd-El-Malek and David Ungar

PS  There is a problem with the Sun web servers dropping connections
during a file download.  Until this problem is fixed, we recommend the
use of the wget Unix utility.  (Wget attempts to continue a download,
despite server errors, and we have found it capable of fully
downloading the Self release packages.)