[self-interest] OpenGL

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Thu Jun 12 00:36:04 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, June 11, 2003, at 05:04 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
 > I got a 1/3 second delay on a 600MHz Pentium II and less than half
that
 > on a 277MHz UltraSparc II. On the latter it is only noticeable if you
 > are testing for the effect.

I don't know what the delay time is, but it certainly feels much slower
than a normal desktop app. Unfortunately, the result is that people may
assume that pure OO systems like Self are too slow for real use.

> Thanks for the tip. Looking at your code, I didn't see where the
> surface
> on which you are rendering the text is set. It has been such a long
> time since I looked at GL (it wasn't Open then ;-) so this looks
> strangely 2D to me...

It is 2D. Were you under the impression that OpenGL is 3d only?

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html