OpenGL (was: questions)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 10 19:20:37 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 12:32, Josh Flowers wrote:
> It would make the GUI code cross platform (at least across the major
> operating systems), which would be nice.

More than nice - it would be great! But my experience with OpenGL has
not been very positive, specially on the PC (Windows and Linux). I get
the feeling that Microsoft is actively trying to give the standard a
bad name so that developers move to DirectX 3D since four of four very
different XP installations I have seen had broken OpenGL. Two were
fixed by getting new drivers from the video card vendors but that
didn't help the other two. Of course, Napoleon used to say not to
ascribe to malice what could be explained by incompetence...

But a problem with GL itself regarding GUIs is that it doesn't handle
text or 2D textures very well (at least when I last looked into this)
and needs help from some external program. Another problem is that it
doesn't scale. See http://www.lsi.usp.br/~jecel/gmodel.html