[self-interest] questions

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Jun 10 15:10:31 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 05:35, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> Is Self's JIT code written in such a way that there is a layer that
> be useful as a library outside of Self?

No - it is very tightly integrated into the rest of the VM. Some more
library-like JITs that might be of interest to you are:

  http://www.gnu.org/directory/libs/gnulightning.html

  http://www-sor.inria.fr/projects/vvm/realizations/ccg/ccg.html

Hmmm.... I see that Ian Piumarta is a contributor to both projects. I
guess it is a small world after all! ;-)

> Also, has OpenGL been considered as an alternative to using xlib for
> rendering? What rendering API is used on the OSX implementation?

The original MacOS port used that systems native graphic library
(Carbon). A port to Cocoa (NextStep) is in the "to do" list of the
release notes for the latest version.

Since the GUI isn't 3D (though I started a project to make it so back in
1998) I am not sure OpenGL would help much.