[self-interest] inheritance in Self

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Thu Sep 19 05:56:05 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 09:56  PM, David Ungar wrote:
> We use the most obvious trick in the world; a bit in the object's header
> just for this purpose. Lookup sets the bit when it sees the object, and
> clears them all when
> it's done.

That's fast. :-)
Does this work with multiple threads? Do you use the bit to say "I've
been here" or "One of my threads is doing a lookup here so you might
need to look at the list of parent lookups for the current thread" and
keep a separate parent stack? Or does Self use coroutines and never
yields during a lookup?

 > I think the bit may also be used for the collector, so it is not
entirely profligate.

Is the collector not allowed to kick in while any thread is doing a
lookup?

> My pleasure, Steve. I enjoyed reading about your own language,

Great - any feedback/comments/suggestions? I'm sort of poking around
trying to figure out this stuff as I go along so I'm sure there's a
bunch of stuff I did wrong.

Cheers,
Steve