[self-interest] inheritance in Self

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Thu Sep 19 01:11:53 UTC 2002

On Wednesday, September 18, 2002, at 05:26  PM, David Ungar wrote:
> Not every object is guaranteed to respond to any particular message.
> Lookup loops *are* allowed in Self. The virtual machine simply stops
> following parent links
> if it gets to an object it has already traversed.

Interesting. Do you use any tricks to make checking if the parent has
already been searched on each lookup fast? The only thing that occurs to
me is OR-ing each new parent pointer into variable and then doing an XOR
with of this with the next parent pointer to see if a check is needed,
but this becomes ineffective on long parent chains. Also, pointers are
less spread out in copying garbage collectors like the one Self uses. (I
guess if each object stored a hash value of itself, that could be used)

Thanks for the response,
Steve