[self-interest] reflection (was: embedding based prototype languages)

James McCartney asynth at io.com
Tue Nov 12 21:02:13 UTC 2002

On Tuesday, November 12, 2002, at 06:38  AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:

>> [OOPSLA paper]
>> This work looks very promising but requires some time to stop and
>> freeze the objects (and the relevant protocols) involved.
>
> They claim that for even very large type hierarchies this only takes a
> small fraction of a second on a fast machine. And that they have an
> incremental version of their system (not described in the paper, I
> think) where this would be even less of a problem.

That is interesting, because they say that in the majority of cases
that the table creation time was less than 1/100 of a second. For my
own work, music, even a pause of several milliseconds is too long, but
this alg. might be fast enough. I'm looking for constant time lookup
and incremental update of inheritance. They say that they sacrifice
constant time lookup with this scheme. I'll have to read the paper now..

--
--- james mccartney   james at audiosynth.com   <http://www.audiosynth.com>
SuperCollider - a real time synthesis programming language for the