[self-interest] embedding based prototype languages

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Thu Nov 7 21:49:14 UTC 2002

On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 12:16 AM, James McCartney wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 6, 2002, at 10:24  PM, Steve Dekorte wrote:
>> I've found it doesn't take much space as long as the number of slots
>> is
>> low(which is typical when using differential inheritance).
>
> For what I'd like to do, which is flattening the parents, the number of
> slots would be large for the parent.

That's true. Btw, I ran some tests today and found the load on my
perfect hashes is typically around .8 for less than 20 slots, and above
.5 for between 20 and 50.

Also, I was thinking about the masking idea. Maybe there's some short
combination of binary operations that could get the variability needed
for perfect hashing while being faster than a %. Some tests on my G4
showed % to be about 1/3 the speed of a &. I poked around on the net
but the ones I found were more expensive than %. Any ideas?

Seems like the hw folks should have implemented a mod instruction by
now. :-)

Cheers,
Steve
OSX freeware and shareware: http://www.dekorte.com/downloads.html