applications (was: newbie question)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Jun 3 19:06:46 UTC 2002

On Monday 03 June 2002 02:46, Arjen wrote:
> PS It seems some applications, like a webbrowser, have
> been removed. Don't these work any longer or is this a
> licensing issue ?

The web browser was available in the Demo snapshot in early 4.1
releases but with a warning that neither it nor the screen sharing
feature worked on the Mac. I didn't notice that it had been dropped,
but the recent focus has been on the Mac so I am not surprized. Also
note that the web browser was created in 1995 and can't handle tables,
backgrounds, frames and other things that are important (unfortunately,
in my opinion) in most of today's pages.

The only other thing that is no longer available (I think) is the
Smalltalk emulator. I have made a 4.1 snapshot derived from
BareBones.snap and including Smalltalk available as (5.8MB):

   http://www.merlintec.com/download/Smalltalk.snap

This isn't very convenient. It would be better to have the applications
loadable separately rather than a full snapshot. Normal text modules
aren't quite enough for this. The transporter also has code for binary
modules, but I never tested them.