[self-interest] history of prototypes

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jul 26 21:28:55 UTC 2002

On Friday 26 July 2002 16:50, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> LISP and Simula --> Smalltalk and Frames --> Actors -> Smalltalk
> proto projects -> Self -> NewtonScript/JavaScript/Others

That looks very reasonable.

And thanks, Albertina, for the detailed reference on the link between
Actors (Plasma, in particular) and Smalltalk. Note that the Smalltalk
described there (Smalltalk-72 as I had mentioned) was significantly
different from Smalltalk-76 and later. It had a token stream message
passing (mentioned in the text you cited) which was generalized as mail
boxes in Actors. It had classes but these weren't objects (a limitation
languages like C++ still have today). Each class had a single script
instead of methods, just like Actors.