[self-interest] history of prototypes (was: Book on programming with prototypes?)

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Fri Jul 26 19:50:55 UTC 2002

On Friday, July 26, 2002, at 11:35  AM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> On Thursday 25 July 2002 17:47, Steve Dekorte wrote:
>> Btw, Is there a strong distinction between prototypes and frames?
>
> Frames are pure data structures, not objects.
>
>> The history of protos seems to be Actors -> Frames -> Prototypes.
>
> I am pretty sure that Frames were already being used in the late 1960s
> while Actors were inspired by Smalltalk-72. Actors were prototype based
> systems, but had monolithic "scripts" for behavior instead of a set of
> methods in slots. You might say that Frames + Actors => Self

I see. Also, I know the Self papers referenced some Smalltalk projects
that used protos, but I checked those papers out and they reference
Leiberman's papers on Actors. So maybe the geological record of protos
looks like:

LISP and Simula --> Smalltalk and Frames --> Actors -> Smalltalk proto
projects -> Self -> NewtonScript/JavaScript/Others

Steve