history of prototypes (was: Book on programming with prototypes?)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Jul 26 18:35:42 UTC 2002

On Thursday 25 July 2002 17:47, Steve Dekorte wrote:
> Btw, Is there a strong distinction between prototypes and frames?

Frames are pure data structures, not objects.

> The history of protos seems to be Actors -> Frames -> Prototypes.

I am pretty sure that Frames were already being used in the late 1960s
while Actors were inspired by Smalltalk-72. Actors were prototype based
systems, but had monolithic "scripts" for behavior instead of a set of
methods in slots. You might say that Frames + Actors => Self