[self-interest] Digest Number 278

Thorsten Dittmar thorsten.dittmar at daedalos.com
Tue Jul 23 15:36:04 UTC 2002

On 7/23/02 3:56 PM, "Douglas Atique" <datique at terra.com.br> wrote:

> I just want a book that explains the concept and contrasts prototypes
> against classes. A tutorial on how to start programming with
> prototypes when you know classes. Hands-on...
> Regards,
> Douglas

I don't know a book like this, but maybe

Prototype-Based Programming: Concepts, Languages and Applications
by James Noble (Editor), Antero Taivalsaari (Editor), Ivan Moore (Editor)

will be useful for you and there is a paper

http://research.sun.com/research/self/papers/organizing-programs.html

that is not insync in some little parts with the current self version but
still very helpful. What I found really interesting is to compare the
implementation of collections in Smalltalk and Self or Morphic in Self and
Squeak. It shows in some way the different strategies.

--
Thorsten Dittmar
CEO

Daedalos International Inc.