[self-interest] Digest Number 278

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Tue Jul 23 14:38:03 UTC 2002

Douglas Atique wrote:
Dear Douglas:

Come on! Do you know why prototype based programming has not
taken off?

Because Harold Ossher, Peri Tarr and all those techniques
concerned with separation of concerns associate functions, classes,
procedures and OBJECTS as the tyranny of the mainstream
decomposition! The granularity of these entities is too coarse!
And their ability to interact in all dimensions is limited!
RAndy and Dave reacted to this designing the subjective
version of Self called Us!

What's wrong with the entitties called viewpoints, layers
views and so on? They still do not touch the essence of the
thing! The thingness of things!!!Or the essence of meaning!

Right now I am reading an excellent paper from Jörg Kienzle
and Rachid Guerraoui presented last ECOOP'02 LNCS 2374
entitled
AOP: does it make sense? the case of concurrency and failures
where he claims beautifully : "except for simple academic examples
it is hard and even potentially dangerous to separate concurrency
control and failure management from the actual application.

Concurrency and failures are particularly hard to aspectize because
they are usually part of the phenomenon that objects could simulate.
They are in this sense different than other concerns like for instance
tracing which might be easier to aspectize!"
In essence,  he says the programmer must be aware that the physical
separation does not imply a semantic decoupling!

When I advise you to read my paper entitled Object oriented
software object as a living object presented to rOOts last April
http://www.lsi.usp.br/~lourenci there is no better reading to
emphasize the nature of prototypes and how to build a network
of tighly coupled meanings, that yet enables the programmer to
deal with separation of concerns without destroying this semantic
coupling!
Why is there a crisis? Because neither class-based languages nor
prototype based languages have solved this problem.
Aspect oriented software development and Agile software development
have been trying to solve this problem. Yet they do this insisting
on class-based languages, which I believe will lead nowhere!
Why? A class does not tune with individuality! A class is an oldfashioned
 cultural concept introjected in everyday lives. If people don't start
deconstructing all these concepts that hinder the development of individuality
they cannot likewise discover cognitive processes that will lead you to
see the essence of things, as Schoenberg put forward!
Best wishes
Albertina