[self-interest] Would Self benefit from multiprocessors?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jan 2 16:53:21 UTC 2002

Keith,

> I'm about to upgrade my home box to a SparcStation 20,

You mean the model before the Ultra 1? I guess I am not the only one
with his own museum ;-)

> which should
> run Self a bit more nimbly than the SS5 I've got now (although I'm
> amazed at how well Self does run on the 5).

With enough memory it is reasonably usable.

> The question is, would
> Self benefit particularly from multiple processors being fitted to
> the SS20? Any notions?

I used a Meiko with 10 SS20 processors for a while and since I was
sharing it with other people this made a noticable difference. Self
doesn't use "native threads", but if you run the X server on the same
box then multiprocessing might help even if you are the only user on
the machine.