[self-interest] Strange things in Self's gramatics (?)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Sat Aug 24 01:19:18 UTC 2002

On Friday 23 August 2002 18:06, Viktor wrote:
> Because character ^ is legal in operators, how can I decide what is
> meaning of "^ 0."? Is it "return with value 0" or "send message #^ to
> self with argument 0"? Analogic situation is with character '|'
> (pipe).
>
> Yes, there is a solution (^0 is always "return with zero", if I want
> to send #^ with zero, I have to use "self ^ 0"), but it is at least
> very ugly thing.

In section 2.4.5 of the Self 4.0 Programmer's Reference Manual it says:
----
An operator consists of a sequence of one or more of the following
characters:

Two sequences are reserved and are not operators:

         |       ^

Productions [snip]

Examples: +  -  &&  ||  <->  %  #  @  ^
----

Odd... the last example is what you want and we were told explicitly it
wasn't an operator (binary selector). This is from an old version of
the manual - I wonder if it was a typo.