[self-interest] Unlimited integer arithmetics?

Viktor vi.ki at worldonline.cz
Fri Aug 23 06:00:23 UTC 2002

> > There is nothing preventing your from addressing larger
> > address spaces if you use a higher protocol layer.
> > You wouldn't want to send an IP packet to a bit/nibble/byte of
> > data.
>
> So this is the point.  The claim was "nobody could want integers
> bigger than 64 bits".

No, it was not my idea. I just think that it is not necessary to hardwire
unlimited arithmetics into language and VM, because for nearly every
practical work is 64-bits enough. When user wants unlimited precision, then
will use some library.

> Having another layer simply means that when you need to address
> something bigger than 64 bits, you split it up into two integers.  Why
> not skip that step and allow large integers directly?

Because I should implement it in VM, if it is a standard, and I am too lazy.
That's true reason. 64-bit integers are much more easy for me.

Viktor