Simpler Self RFC

Josh Flowers joshflowers at mac.com
Tue Aug 6 19:15:12 UTC 2002

Jecel, I finally got a chance to read your RFC, and have just a few comments...

1. simpler method/block story
I don't know enough about how self currently works to properly comment.  Are there any cons to this change?

2. simpler non local return
Wouldn't this require that all objects have a default slot (^)?  From what I can tell an object in self does not normally contain any slots by default.  Am I wrong about this?

3. simpler syntax - no literals
I really like this one - it seems like it could create a lot of currently unthought of possibilities.

4. simpler assignment story
I'm sitting on the fence with this one.  No comment for now.

5. removing inheritance from the base-level
I'm not sure what you gain from this one.  Personally I'd probably leave it out.