[self-interest] oldParser. using ?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Oct 15 23:19:20 UTC 2001

On Sunday 14 October 2001 14:22, Marko Mikulicic wrote:
> But I still don't know how to flatten the nested annotations. How can
> I read the raw annotation string
> (is there a primitive ?) to lear by examples ?

It is great that you are fixing this... it always seemed a little sad
to have such a broken example in the system.

I hadn't noticed that the mirror primitives worked with special
annotation objects instead of strings.

This seems to work:

 ((reflect: shell) _MirrorCopyAnnotation: 'Comment: hello') reflectee

I couldn't find the actual annotation parsing code in a quick look
through the VM. My initial impression is that the strings for nested
annotations are simply concatenated (with the proper separator, of
course), but it would be interesting to do some experiments to confirm
this.

Are you aware of the Mango parser generator? Mario used it to generate
the parser for Smalltalk and I wrote most of a Self grammar for it (I
am not sure it is possible to finish it, however, and I have mentioned
this a few times on this list already):

  http://www.merlintec.com/s3.grm