Self on Sparc-linux ?

Marko Mikulicic marko at seul.org
Sun Oct 14 18:30:44 UTC 2001

Hello,

has anyone tried to compile/run the self VM on a linux sparc system ?
I belive there are not so many differences. The biggest problem porting
Self was the CPU, but leaving
on a sparc it should run ok, no ?
Once compiled for linux with the same glibc it could be ran though an
instruction level emulator (there is one integrated in gdb) calling all
shared libraries on the host. Endianness issues would probably have a
performance impact but I think it will
be faster on a dual PIII-1ghz than natively on a 50Mhz sparcstation
(usable).
Having the binary compiled for linux would simplify the emulation.
Perhaps gdb could run it out of the box, but I'm not sure
(perhaps it needs to be statically linked)

Did Gordon need to change much of the makefile system to compile on linux ?
Are other changes needed in the sources for non-architectural related
things ?
What do you think of this possibility to temporarly port Self to other
architectures
(after all apple ran its kernel in a instruction level emulator :-) ?

Marko