[self-interest] dSelf - A distributed Self for JVM Platforms

Albertina Lourenci lourenci at lsi.usp.br
Fri Mar 16 16:03:18 UTC 2001

Robert Tolksdorf wrote:

Hi Robert

I was not able to open your dSelf documents?

What jar means? Is it ps, pdf, doc. What is it?
I work in a Sun station/.
Thanks

albertina

> Hi,
>
> [being new to the list, I am not sure about conventions - if this
> should be answered directly, please tell]
>
> Jecel Assumpcao Jr
> > Wow! Congratulations on this excelent work!
>
> thanks.
>

> > At a presentation I gave on Monday I was asked if any academic groups
> > were working on Self implementations and I said "no". I am very glad
> > that I was wrong about that.
> >
> > After reading the dself.pdf I would like to make some slight
> > corrections. There were, in fact, previous papers on distributed Self
> > but they were written in Portuguese and so wouldn't have been of much
> > help to you. My key insight in the later papers was that not only
> > primitive objects but any immutable objects could be copied without
> > affecting the execution semantics. My system is a multiuser one and any
> > any given "session" most objects (those belonging to other users) are
> > read-only and can be replicated instead of using remote references.
>
> Have you tried to push the papers through the Altavista Babelfish?
>
> Concerning replication: Right now, there are two sorts of things in
> dSelf, the one are references, the others are primitive objects (such
> as the number 1). The primtive objects are located at _every_ dSelf
> VM, so in some sense, they are in fact replicas (one can also say that
> eg. the Java-standard classes are replicated on every JVM). Of course,
> true replica need some sort of consistency management, which we
> currently do not need, as primitve objects are immutable (cf. the java
> standard classes). There is going to be another diploma theses that
> deals with the issue. In fact, the work on it should start this week.
>
> My view is that we should introduce something like in Replicated Obliq
> by MacIntyre, where remote, replicated and simple (ie. primitive)
> objects are distinguished and the environment offers means to change
> the "class" of objects along those three kinds.
>

> > Your use of "<-" versus "=" in slot declarations seems strange. I don't
> > think that the stack examples are quite right: you change slots defined
> > with "=" ("parent", for example). You use the "clone" method but it is
> > not defined anywhere (you don't mention the traditional "traits
> > clonable" object, for example).
>
> we should have mentioned (and might add a footnote), that these
> examples use a pseudo code. The reason for that was to show simple
> code instead of lots of _addslots messages whose explanation would
> have cluttered the flow of the text.
>

> > Several of the things you mention as missing in dSelf were actually
> > dropped in Self 3.0. I found it strange that you wrote that Self
> > doesn't have local methods, but I just tried it in Self 4.1.2 and did
> > indeed get the error: "syntax error - local slots not implemented yet".
> > How strange.
>
> We took 4.x as reference. The assumption of downward compatibilty
> seems to be quite wrong...

> [...]

.----------------------------------------------------------.
| Albertina Lourenci                                       |
| PhD  in Architecture and Urbanism                        |
| post-doctorate researcher                                |
| Laboratory of Integrated Systems University of Sao Paulo |
| Avenida Professor Luciano Gualberto, 158 Travessa 3      |
| CEP: 05508-900                                           |
| Sao Paulo Sao Paulo State Brazil                         |
| Voice: +55 011 818 5254                                  |
| Fax: +55 11 211 4574                                     |