Closure/method discrepancy...

victor_yurkovsky 7dreamer at usa.net
Thu Dec 20 19:20:26 UTC 2001

Jecel, thanks for your answers.

Let's postpone the activation record discussion (I am very curious
about the double-cloning and istalling as own parent thought..) as an
implementation issue.

Now, the lifespan of a block, as you pointed out, is limited to the
lexically enclosing method.  As an implementer, I can understand the
desire to keep activation records on the stack for efficiency, and
that implies that the record cannot survive the stack frame of the
method.  However, it does preclude me from passing a block out of a
method and sticking it into a slot of a more permanent object.  That
seems like a deficiency as I often find myself (in smalltalk) in
situations where I really wish to replace a method with another one
after the state of the object changes (instead of a slower
conditional).  Am I missing something here - is there another
mechanism in self to replace the contents of a slot with another
(precompiled or dynamically generated) entity?  I guess you can
replace the contents of a slot with anything you want, so that would
be the way to do it.   It just really yanks me that the creation of a
block and a method is not syntactically identical.

As for scoping, do I really understand it correctly that a block
statically binds to objects of the enclosing method at compile time?
It would be just so much cleaner to bind at run time... Ah...  It
seems like there are at least two distinct uses of a block:
partitioning a method (requires lexical access to method slots), the
other a generic submethod to be passed around (such as a sort block),
requires dynamic access to run-time method's slots that can be faked
by passing parameters.  Perhaps these should be treated as different
animals, or the programer be given the choice of lexical/dynamic
binding of a block?  Of course, dynamic binding works in both cases
as the partition-type block is executed within the same method it was
compiled in...

To clarify my seminonsensical last message, it seems that there is a
more generic way to implement an oo environment within which self can
be instantiated, just like smalltalk can be instantiated in self...
The object with slots and data/code (data of course is code
interpreted by some program or hardware...) seems like about as low
as I would be willing to go.  From there on, it is mostly the
question of when to bind.  Bind everything at compile time and you
have Forth.  Bind objects at compile time and messages at runtime,
and you have Smalltalk.  Bind everything at runtime, and what do you
have?

You are totally right about my missing out on the assignment issues.
The big problem here is name binding again - do names bind the slots
or objects inside those slots?  Is a slot, perhaps, an object capable
of assignment? I have to think about it some more as I am quickly
approaching middle age and my mind is not working as well as it did
(or at least as I remember it doing).